Although the fourth edition features the same strategic management model presented in the third edition, a number of changes have been made. The integration of new concepts and the enhancement of existing ones can be seen throughout the chapters, including a large number of global strategy references and a chapter devoted entirely to a perspective on the organization based on ethics and social responsibility. Specifically, key changes to the fourth edition include:
• The coverage of ethics and social responsibility has been expanded and integrated with other topics related to organizational direction in chapter 5.
• Coverage of the external environment has been expanded into two chapters. Chapter 3 explores political, legal, and economic forces while Chapter 4 discusses social and technological forces.
• A large number of recent examples have been added. Many of these address the effects of social, technological and other external forces on firm performance. Others highlight the success and failure of specific firms.
• A new section on Emerging Trends in Chapter 12 integrates key topics in the text along the themes of global competitiveness, the Internet, sustainability, strategic complexity, and crisis management.
• This edition features 11 new traditional cases. Real-time cases have been updated as well.
• References have been completely updated and a large number of new global references have been added to this edition.
• The online student research page has been updated and expanded to provide practical assistance for students conducting case research.