Working in Restructured Workplaces
Challenges and New Directions for the Sociology of Work
- Daniel B. Cornfield - Vanderbilt University, USA
- Karen Campbell - Minnesota
- Holly McCammon - Vanderbilt University, USA
Organization Studies | Sociology of Work
To give you definition and answers to these contemporary questions, the editors of the sociological quarterly, Work and Occupations, assembled Working in Restructured Workplaces. It addresses contradictory influences in contemporary workplace restructuring, its impact on workers' lives, and the direction and nature of future changes in the workplace. This authentic collection of sociological thought and research consists of previous works in Work and Occupations and some commissioned specifically for this book to focus on the nature, causes, and consequences of workplace restructuring.
The editors introduce a new concept of `workplace restructuring' to broaden your perspective and then assess implications for workers and their lives. The chapters address four major themes:
· reconfiguring workplace status hierarchies
· casualization of employment relationships
· restructuring and worker marginalization
· comparative labor responses to global restructuring.
The last two chapters chart new research agendas on the boundaries and durability of workplace restructuring.