The key areas covered in the book are:
- Introduction to theory building.
- Theory in the context of reality, knowledge, science and research.
- Role of theory in research.
- Units of theory.
- Process and practice of theory building.
- Observations and examples from published research.
- Extensions of theory building for hypothesis specification.
The uniqueness of the book lies in its focus on theory building for the specific purpose of hypothesis creation, rather than for propounding any grand theory, idea or concept. It is enhanced with insightful thoughts and citations of other great thinkers and researchers of international repute.
The book will serve as essential reading material for research methods courses in various research degree programmes such as M Phil and PhD and Fellow programmes in Management. It will be useful for researchers in the areas of organizational behavior, human resource management, organization theory, strategy and policy and marketing.