- The core purpose of contemporary policework
- The reconfiguration of police culture
- Organizational issues and dilemmas currently confronting the police
- The managerial reforms and professional innovations that have been implemented in recent years
- The future of policing, security, and crime control
In offering this discussion of the nature and role of the police, The New Policing illustrates the need to re-examine and re-think the theoretical perspectives that have constituted policing studies. Examining evidence from the U.K., the USA, and other western societies, the book promotes and enables an understanding of the cultural and symbolic significance of policing in society.
This ground-breaking text has been constructed to ensure that it touches on all the key issues that any course on police and policing will cover. It will be an essential purchase for all students of policing and criminal justice, and academics and professionals working in this field.