The Intensive Interaction Handbook
- Dave Hewett - Independent Education Consultant and Author
- Mark Barber - Independent Education Consultant
- Graham Firth - Intensive Interaction Project Leader for Leeds Partnerships NHS Trust
- Tandy Harrison - Special Needs Teacher, Intensive Interaction Coordinator and parent
Autism Spectrum Disorders | Language Development | Special Education
Intensive interaction is an approach to teaching the pre-speech fundamentals of communication to children and adults who have severe learning difficulties or autism, and who are still at an early stage of communication development. This book is a practical guide to help those wishing to implement intensive interaction in their setting, and it provides detailed advice and step-by-step guidance as well as a consideration of all the issues associated with carrying out this approach.
- Preparing for intensive interaction
- Observing intensive interaction in progress
- Doing intensive interaction at home and at work
This book is a straightforward guide for anyone wanting to use intensive interaction with people with severe and complex learning difficulties, people who have very severe learning difficulties, profound and multiple learning difficulties, multi-sensory impairments, and people who have a diagnosis of autism.
'In my experience, Intensive Interaction can make a life changing difference to those with autism or complex learning difficulties. If you already use Intensive Interaction, this book is an essential reminder of what makes it special - if not, it will inspire you to give it a try!' -
Nicky Phillips, Educational Psychologist and co-author of 'Teaching Play to Children with Autism'
'The practicalities are covered in detail, as are documentation and record keeping, and this is the strength of this straightforward and useful text'