The Common Core Mathematics Companion: The Standards Decoded, Grades 6-8
What They Say, What They Mean, How to Teach Them
- Ruth Harbin Miles - Mary Baldwin College, VA
- Lois A. Williams - Owner, C&I Mathematics Consulting
A Joint Publication (Corwin Mathematics logo) (NCTM logo), Mathematics Series Creator: Linda M. Gojak
Corwin Mathematics Series
Mathematics | Teaching Methods & Learning Styles
"The Common Core Mathematics Companion 6-8 offers a practical guide for implementing the CCSS Math Standards. Teachers will appreciate the misconception alerts and ideas for differentiation."
— Jay McTighe, Author and Consultant
When it comes to math, standards-aligned is achievement-aligned…
In the short time since The Common Core Mathematics Companions, Grades K-2 and 3-5 burst on the scene, they have been lauded as the best resources for making critical math ideas easy to teach. With this brand-new 6-8 volume, middle school math success is at your fingertips.
Page by page, the authors lay out the pieces to a cutting-edge curriculum, helping you to:
- Get the inside scoop on which standards connect, what key vocabulary means, and time-saving tables showing where to focus instruction for each grade
- Write curriculum for: ratios and proportional relationships, the number system, expressions and equations, functions, geometry, and statistics & probability
- Use the What to Teach pages to deliver powerful standards-based lessons
- Learn effective techniques to create an environment where all students can experience math break-throughs
- Incorporate the Standards for Mathematical Practice to improve students’ ability to problem solve, construct viable arguments, use tools strategically, attend to precision, and more
The Common Core Mathematics Companion, Grades 6–8 has what every middle school needs to provide students with the foundation for the concepts and skills they will be expected to know in grade 9–12.
Ruth Harbin Miles is a mathematics coach, with special expertise in developing teachers’ content knowledge and strategies for engaging students to achieve high mathematics standards. A serving member on the Board of Directors for the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics and the National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics, Ruth is a co-author with Linda Gojak of The Common Core Mathematics Companions, K–2 and 3–5 (Corwin).
Lois Williams, Ed.D., who taught mathematics in grades K–8 for 20 years, is currently an adjunct professor at Mary Baldwin College and an International Fellow with the Charles A. Dana Center, training teachers in the College and Career Readiness Standards She has been honored with a Fulbright Teacher Exchange and the Virginia Middle School Mathematics Teacher of the Year award.
"The Common Core Mathematics Companion, 6-8 should be readily available for every teacher of mathematics. It provides a succinct and organized way to bring the theoretical standards down to practical application for enhanced student achievement."
"The Common Core Mathematics Companion 6-8 offers a practical guide for implementing the CCSS Math Standards.
Teachers will appreciate the misconception alerts and ideas for differentiation."
“The sample lesson-planning section provides a framework that prompts teachers to ask higher-order-thinking questions and ways to differentiate instruction. The sample planning page is also a great resource for administrators to gain an understanding of what mathematics should look and sound like in the classroom. Both the teacher and the administrator can have meaningful conversations about related standards and student learning.”
Sample Materials & Chapters
Part 1: Ratios and Proportional Relationships
Suggested Materials and Key Vocabulary
A brief description of the mathematics behind each cluster
What the TEACHER does - What the STUDENTS do