The Academic Skills Handbook
Your Guide to Success in Writing, Thinking and Communicating at University
- Diana Hopkins - Freelance Consultant
- Tom Reid - Freelance Consultant
Essays/Dissertations | Specific Study Skills | Undergradute Study Skills
- communicate your ideas with confidence and clarity
- watch your skills grow with diagnostic tools
- create your own study plan tailored to the skills you need
- know what your tutor is looking for and how to deliver
- turn your skills into success after university.
This book is specially designed to show you where your strengths are and what you need to work on, so you get a practice plan that is perfect for your needs. It then arms you with the principles and practice to get ahead in your academic writing, presentations and group work.
Student Success is a series of essential guides for students of all levels. From how to think critically and write great essays to boosting your employability and managing your wellbeing, the Student Success series helps you study smarter and get the best from your time at university.
Visit the Online Resources for a range of handy diagnostic tools and sample banks to build a tailored study plan.
- Includes downloadable exercises, scored activities and reflective questions you can use to self-test and identify key skills to develop
- Includes video examples and tutorials, downloadable examples and worksheets, and annotated samples from real students’ assignments, providing strategies and best practice examples to help improve your own work.
Visit the SAGE Study Skills hub for tips, resources and videos on study success!
Watch the recording of Academic Writing and Taking a Critical Approach with Diana Hopkins and Tom Reid. This webinar, hosted by JS Group, offers top tips to help you write critically and achieve higher grades.
For those students who follow the Post graduate pathway this is a useful text for supporting their academic writing.
Great resource text for students who are starting to write to an academic standard for the first time.
This is an indispensable text that covers the aspects of engaging with academic practice in the most comprehensive way. It anticipates the angst-filled moments that all students encounter at the different stages of their undergraduate (and post-graduate) careers, and provides a range of strategies to cope with these moments. The use of this text could potentially facilitate a common ground between tertiary educators and students, through shared learning styles, supported in the multi-faceted resources the text provides. Should be well worth taking the time to explore the complementary online content once this becomes available.
This is a thorough but accessible guide which will assist those at any level of HE study.
Very clear, well structured book. Great use of examples and activities to test knowledge and understanding. Good diagnostic tests to check where someone is starting from.
This is an extremely student-oriented publication. It is easy to read and very helpful in preparing coursework and other written submissions. It really offers the "essential" guide for students of all levels!
A super little book in relation to developing structure For academic writing