Research Design and Methods
An Applied Guide for the Scholar-Practitioner
- Gary J. Burkholder - Walden University, USA
- Kimberley A. Cox - Walden University, USA
- Linda M. Crawford - Walden University, USA
- John H. Hitchcock - Abt Associates Inc., USA
Educational Research | Research Design | Social Work Research Methods
Research Design and Methods: An Applied Guide for the Scholar-Practitioner is written for students seeking advanced degrees who want to use evidence-based research to support their practice. This practical and accessible text addresses the foundational concepts of research design and methods; provides a more detailed exploration of designs and approaches popular with graduate students in applied disciplines; covers qualitative, quantitative, and mixed-methods designs; discusses ethical considerations and quality in research; and provides guidance on writing a research proposal.
Password-protected Instructor Resources include the following:
- Editable, chapter-specific Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides offer you complete flexibility in easily creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
- Lecture Notes, including Outline and Objectives, which may be used for lecture and/or student handouts.
- Case studies from SAGE Research Methods accompanied by critical thinking/discussion questions.
- Tables and figures from the printed book are available in an easily-downloadable format for use in papers, hand-outs, and presentations.
“The chapters in this text are logically and clearly organized around levels of understanding that are intuitive and easy to follow. They offer dynamic examples that will keep students engaged. Readers will learn to connect theory and practice, helping them become better researchers, and better consumers of research.”
“Research Design and Methods: An Applied Guide for the Scholar-Practitioner is a must-read for both new and seasoned researchers. Every topic in the text is comprehensively explained with excellent examples.”
“This text provides clear and concise discussions of qualitative, quantitative, and mixed-methods research for the new scholar-practitioner. The use of questioning and visuals affords students the opportunity to make connections and reflect on their learning.”
“The edited nature of this book provides a multitude of rich perspectives from well-respected authors. This book is a must-have for introductory research methods students.”
“This is an excellent read for anyone interested in understanding research, the book provides good clarity and practical examples…. It is a pragmatic book that translates research concepts into practice.”
Clear chapters. Acessible format
It contains most of what I needed for my Research Methods class. Very good book!
Current book looks better to teach.
A user-friendly, relevant, and applicable resource for all scholar-practitioners.
Sample Materials & Chapters
3: Conceptual and Theoretical Frameworks in Research
16: Applied Research: Action Research