- An overview of Freud's work which enables the reader to see quickly where and in which texts Freud develops his main ideas
- A guide to reading Freud, and to what can be done with the complexities of his texts
- An examination of what recent cultural theory draws from Freud, and of why psychoanalysis is of interest for it
- A reading and argument about the Freud revealed by recent cultural theory
- An extensive selection of extracts from Freud's texts, with commentary
This book is now the definitive guide to the content of Freud's texts: what's there and where to find it. It will have wide appeal to students new to Freud in cultural studies, literary theory, philosophy, and sociology.