Qualitative Research Methods for Nurses
- Robert Dingwall - Dingwall Enterprises Ltd.
- Karen Staniland
Health Research Methods | Nursing Research
Covering the entire research process – from understanding theory to writing up your project – this book provides students with an easy-to-follow introduction to qualitative methods in nursing and healthcare.
It offers straightforward guidance on key issues such as ethics and equips students with practical tools for approaching steps like searching and reviewing the literature. It also:
- Provides a clear historical overview of nursing and healthcare research, helping deepen understanding of the field
- Shows students how to use literature to inform their choice of a research topic and research question
- Helps students develop a critical approach to their own thinking and practice.
Grounded in numerous real-world examples that offer insight into best practice and how to overcome potential pitfalls, this book helps students to develop their research skills and use qualitative methods with confidence.
- ‘Meet the Author’ Videos introduce you to studying qualitative research methods and provide insight into how a researcher’s journey unfolds in the real world.
- Chapter Introduction Videos orientate you within the research process and set out the main topics and themes each chapter will cover.
- SAGE Videos chosen by the authors from the SAGE Research Methods collection help you develop your understanding of key methods and techniques, such as interviews and conversation analysis.
- YouTube Videos vetted by the authors, help you consolidate your knowledge of key concepts throughout the research process, from theory and picking a good research question to methods of data collection and writing up your research.
As social scientists who have had a long relationship with nurses learning to conduct qualitative studies, the authors present this basic methods primer in a highly engaging style, building on what their audience already understands about the world and making a case for the value of expanding upon existing ways of knowing through the use of qualitative inquiry methods.
This text will be an excellent resource for nurses wanting to expand their capacity to answer questions arising from their practice, and for educators wanting to engage pre-or post registration learners in taking the next steps toward using knowledge to advance their profession.
The book takes the novice qualitative researcher by the hand and walks them through the scary bits in the gentlest of ways.
A very engaging text that encourages novice students to understand key concepts and practical strategies within qualitative research methods. A great addition to undergraduate nursing programmes.