The book is organized in accessible sections which cover the main themes of research and teaching. It examines:
• The key approaches to understanding popular music
• The main settings of exchange and consumption
• The role of technology in the production of popular music
• The main genres of popular music
• The key debates of the present day
Barbazon writes with verve and penetration. Her approach starts with how most people actually consume music today and transfers this onto the plain of study.
The organization of the material enables teachers and students to shuffle from one topic to the next. Yet the book provides an unparalleled network to the core library of concepts and issues in the field. As such, it is the perfect study guide for undergraduates located in this exciting and expanding field.