This is a highly accessible text is for those new to prison studies, or for anyone looking for a refresher. It provides structure and background for all prison and punishment modules on undergraduate criminology/ criminal justice degrees. Written in a straightforward and clear style, the book gives detailed explanations for all academic terms used.
- Provides easy access to the key themes in punishment and prison studies
- Presents helpful summaries of the approach taken by the main course textbooks
- Offers guidance on the essential study skills required to pass the course
- Helps with developing critical thinking
- Includes Taking it Further sections that suggest how readers can extent their thinking beyond the "received wisdom"
- Gives pointers to success in course exams and written assessment exercises
Penology is an essential reference point for undergraduate students in criminology, criminal justice, sociology, law and related fields.