- familiarizes readers with the core elements and commitments of performance-based analysis;
- links performance-based analysis to theoretical and analytical perspectives in communication and cultural studies;
- provides engaging examples of how to use performance as a critical tool to open up communication and culture;
- combines the best features of two classroom formats. Like a reader, it offers a menu of diverse approaches to performance-based analysis. Like a monograph, these approaches are organized into a coherent conceptual and pedagogical frame;
- explicitly links developments in performance theory and methodology to current theories and methodologies in communication and cultural studies;
- a topical organization mirrors those theoretical and methodological concerns most likely to engage students and scholars: how to analyze practices of everyday life, history, space, and intersections of all three.