The digital revolution is transforming media and communications industries worldwide, and media companies are keen to emerge at the forefront of an increasingly transnational and competitive communications marketplace. However, the volume and scale of mergers and alliances involving media players has raised considerable challenges for regulators and state authorities alike. Media Ownership:
- Investigates the commercial and strategic advantages of consolidation and cross-media expansion
- Examines the socio-political and cultural implications of media concentration
- Analyzes how policy makers have responded to media concentration and convergence
- Assesses the relationship between media ownership and economic performance
- Looks at the balance of power between politicians and media owners
This book offers an up-to-date and timely critical overview of the contemporary media environment, as such it will be an essential text for all those with an interest in media economics, media policy, media law and management.