Making the Most of Your Placement
- John Neugebauer - University of the West of England, UK
- Jane Evans-Brain - Independent Consultant
SAGE Study Skills Series
Business & Management | Study Skills
"An invaluable resource to help students think about what they want to gain from their placement and prepare for interview. Covering issues of pay to working abroad and learning from placements, its all here under one cover."
- Heather Collier, Director, National Council for Work Experience
This study guide is an invaluable resource for any student doing a work placement as part of their degree. The text provides practical and thorough advice to help students select, prepare, and navigate through their first experience of organizational life.
- Covers every step of the work placement process; from planning, making contact, interviewing and assessment, through to work skills and reflective learning and how to make the most of the placement experience and the opportunities it presents for future careers
- Includes short testimonials in each chapter from students who have done placement years, offering experiences and advice
- Provides checklists to help students cover every consideration for commencing on their placement
- Offers an extensive list of helpful websites and contacts, as well as further reading suggestions
An essential source of support and guidance for undergraduate students doing work placements or internships as part of their degree course.
Visit the SAGE Study Skills hub for tips, resources and videos on study success!
Beneficial content for students that is written in a clear and understandable manner
Covers a useful wide range of different topics for second year students on placement to consider.
I will be recommending this book as it provides a clear idea of how to start work and also employment. some well written ideas with excellent advice for any student.
This book provides a good guide for student with key messages about practice placements. it is accessible with effective tips to enable student to consider the various points.
Very clear and concise. Useful to read at the start of the placement search and to dip into as you progress along the process
This book is a really welcome addition, bringing structure and theory to the placement experience in a way that is accessible to the learner. There is a great deal of theoretical detail within the text but it is consistently applied and that is a strength. I like the incremental development of the book and the structure works effectively. The practicality and simplicity of the writing style makes this book particularly attractive to the learner. I most certainly will use if for the post-graduate placement module I teach and confidently predict that the students will find it useful.
Find the work compliments the information given from the University placement tutor.
There is so much in this book it has application beyond industry placements.
I found the chapters on HR, interviewing and applying for jobs very good indeed. Likewise, the chapters on research principles and 'back at university' are informative and relevant to students.
This is a well written, useful book for students in Business and the Creative Industries that appears to fill a gap in the market
This is great for my second year's who have a volunteering placement as part of thei module