Making Sense of the Social World
Methods of Investigation
- Daniel F. Chambliss - Hamilton College, USA
- Russell K. Schutt - University of Massachusetts Boston, USA
An approachable and enjoyable introduction to research methods.
Social Research Methods | Sociological Research Methods
Congratulations to Daniel F. Chambliss , winner of the ASA Distinguished Contribution to Teaching Prize for 2018.
At the heart of this book is the authors’ firm belief that understanding research methods is critical to being an informed citizen in our complex, fast-paced social world. Now in its Fifth Edition, Making Sense of the Social World continues to help students achieve that understanding by providing a balanced treatment of qualitative and quantitative methods, integrating substantive examples and research techniques throughout. All essential elements of social research methods are covered, including validity, causation, experimental and quasi-experimental design, and techniques of analysis. Additionally, it is written in a less formal style to make concepts more accessible to students, and it includes wide-ranging, practical exercises drawn from every experience to help students get hands-on with the material. Not only do students find the book approachable and easy to digest, but they also enjoy it!
INTERACTIVE eBOOK: This interactive eBook is available for stand-alone purchase, but it comes FREE when purchased in a bundle with the print version. Bundle ISBN: 9781483392196
Experience the Interactive eBook today! Watch a demo
SAGE edge for Instructors supports your teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students.
- Test banks provide a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity to edit any question and/or insert your own personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding.
- Sample course syllabi for semester and quarter courses provide suggested models for structuring your courses.
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts presented in each chapter.
- Multimedia content includes original SAGE videos that appeal to students with different learning styles.
- Lecture notes summarize key concepts by chapter to help you prepare for lectures and class discussions.
Student Study Site (Open Access)
SAGE edge for Students provides a personalized approach to help students accomplish their coursework goals in an easy-to-use learning environment.
- Mobile-friendly practice quizzes allow for independent assessment by students of their mastery of course material.
- Mobile-friendly eFlashcards strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts.
- An online action plan includes tips and feedback on progress through the course and materials, which allows students to individualize their learning experience.
- Chapter summaries with learning objectives reinforce the most important material.
- SAGE Readings and Journal Articles combine cutting-edge academic journal scholarship with the topics in your course for a robust classroom experience. Full-text CQ Researcher, Pacific Standard magazine, and SAGE journal articles have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts.
- Carefully selected chapter-by-chapter video and multimedia content which enhance classroom-based explorations of key topics.
Interesting text that can work across various social science fields. Students will benefit from the online resources.
The book is visually appealing, covers the topics well, and progresses through the material effectively for students. The companion website provides additional learning resources for students.
Sample Materials & Chapters
(Chapter 3) - (Ethics in Research)