Henry M. Levin
A Few Words of Explanation
About the Authors
1. Asking the Right Questions
What Is Our Approach to Making Sense of Research?
Five Questions About Research
Four Case Studies of Education Research
2. Behind the Scenes in the World of Education Research
The World of Education Research
Who Does Education Research?
Can You Trust Education Research?
What Does the Future Hold for Education Research?
Does Education Research Really Matter?
3. The Causal Questions: Does It Work? (Part I)
Simple (Minded) Methods of Establishing Causality
What Can Go Wrong With Experiments?
Why Are Experiments So Unpopular With Education Teachers
4 The Causal Question: Does It Work? (Part II)
Quasi-Experiments and Non-Experiments
The Researcher's Bag of Tricks
5. The Process Question: How Does It Work?
What Is Qualitative Research?
The Qualities of Qualitative Research
The Power of Qualitative Research
Qualitative Research Methods
From Whence Comes the Quality in Qualitative Research?
6. The Cost Question: Is It Worthwhile?
The Ingredients Method of Cost Analysis
Two Important Cost Questions
7. The Usability Question: Will It Work for Me?
Will it Work in My Setting?
Some Rules of Thumb for Making Generalizations
Research Reviews and Meta-Analysis
Special Considerations for Qualitative and Cost Studies
8. The Evaluation Question: Is It Working for Me?
What Is User-Driven Research?
User-Driven Research at Lincoln Middle School
Asking the Right Questions
Exemplars of User-Driven Research
Resource: Bibliographies for Case Studies