- Dave Hewett - Independent Education Consultant and Author
Autism Spectrum Disorders | Language Development | Special Education
Intensive Interaction is an approach to teaching the fundamentals of communication to children and adults who have severe learning difficulties or autism, and who are still at an early stage of communication development. Its simplicity and effectiveness has been one of the major themes in the widespread practitioner dissemination that has taken place during the last twenty years. Despite the human simplicity of the approach, Intensive Interaction relates to, or is influenced in practice by, a wide range of interconnecting theories and academic standpoints. With contributions from leading authorities, Dave Hewett provides a comprehensive and detailed description of the theoretical landscape of a now established methodology. The most prominent related theories and issues are reviewed, with Intensive Interaction set within their contexts.
Issues covered include:
- The approach within education and the curriculum
- Intensive Interaction within adult services
- Effects on organizational change and development
- Neurology and learning outcomes
- Intensive Interaction and the Central Triad of autism
- Emotional learning and development outcomes
- Adoption of Intensive Interaction
Providing a timely theoretical and academic overview to Intensive Interaction practice, this book marks a substantial theoretical waypoint to future development of interactive approaches generally. It is a vital resource of in-depth knowledge for anyone studying Special Educational Needs and Education.