Global Social Policy and Governance
- Bob Deacon - University of Sheffield, UK
Development Studies | Global Social Policy | International Relations
"This book is very timely and addresses many issues that are en vogue at the moment. It relates social policy studies to other fields such as global governance and development studies and thus opens up new discussions in the subject area."
--Dr. Antje Vetterlein, University of Oxford
How do global actors contribute to national and international social policy? How have the terms of global social policy discourse shifted in recent years?
Global Social Policy and Governance explores these issues and presents a critical analysis of policy-making in an interconnected world. The chapters caution against a superficial account of understanding global social policy and instead discuss the complexities and controversies surrounding the global actors shaping international policy.
- Evaluates policies for social protection, health services and education put forward by global institutions
- Looks at policies addressing the essentials of global redistribution, global regulation, and global social rights
- Highlights the complexity of the networks of global actors; including NGOs, consultants, think tanks, task forces, and policy advocacy coalitions
- Explores the political obstacles to reforms in global social governance, and the growing importance of global social movements
- Presents arguments for a more effective development of global social policies
- Includes case studies, further reading sections, and a glossary
Overall the book presents an authoritative understanding of the way social policies at national and supra-national level are shaped in the context of globalization. It is an essential text for students of Social Policy, Development Studies and International Relations. It will also be invaluable reading for those shaping social policies in international organizations and those in social movements seeking to influence them.
`This primer on the global politics of social policy reflects at least a decade of close monitoring and research. It is essential reading for advanced students as well as all others seriously interested in improving the human condition. Nuanced and critical, Deacon's book offers a much needed and constructive guide to the complex supernational debates over rights, regulation and redistribution impinging on social welfare all over the world' - Jomo K.S., United Nations Assistant Secretary-General for Economic Development
`This book is very timely and addresses many issues that are en vogue at the moment. It relates social policy studies to other fields such as global governance and development studies and thus opens up new discussions in the subject area' - Dr Antje Vetterlein, University of Oxford
A great book which gives precious insights in the global social policy and governance. Thanks for the great service!
Great structure to covering the most important areas of global social policy. Very important book.