Improve teacher retention by understanding and supporting the work of special education teachers!
Are you concerned about special education teacher attrition? Do you wonder about how to meet the demand for highly qualified special needs teachers? This book highlights the problems that drive many special needs teachers out of teaching and outlines practical recommendations that leaders can use to increase retention. Drawing on field experience as well as research findings, Billingsley provides a comprehensive framework for supporting special needs teachers.
Cultivating and Keeping Committed Special Education Teachers provides effective ways to:
- Recruit and hire qualified special needs teachers
- Provide responsive induction programs for new teachers
- Design effective professional development opportunities
- Create inclusive and collaborative schools
- Provide reasonable work assignments and reduce paperwork
- Promote wellness by reducing stress
This book emphasizes the important role that headteachers play in supporting special needs teachers and how they can make a difference in what special educators accomplish in their schools. Numerous assessments, tools, and resources are included to help leaders, mentors, and teachers improve the conditions of special education teaching.