'This is a wonderfully lucid account of what needs to happen if Circle Time sessions are to promote the emotional literacy of children and young people.'
James Park, Director of Antidote
Emotional literacy is an important issue in schools and an essential part of a positive and successful school environment.
Circle Time and the principles on which it is based provide a powerful framework for developing the social, emotional and behavioral skills that are the foundation for emotionally literate relationships.
Offering lots of new ideas and activities to try out in Circle Time, this book covers:
- A working definition of emotional literacy
- The theoretical foundations and underlying philosophy of Circle Time
- What Circle Time can do for your students and for your school including promoting resilience and reducing bullying
- Many reflective and fun ways to address a wide range of social and emotional skills and the supportive context necessary for their development
- How to maximize the success of Circle Time in your class
- Ways to address common problems that can occur
The activities promote listening and attention skills, raise self-awareness and self-esteem and focus on class cohesion, empathy, co-operation and a sense of belonging.