Eight Essentials of Inquiry-Based Science, K-8
- Elizabeth Hammerman - Educational Consultant, Texas
Foreword by Robert E. Yager
Science | Teaching Methods & Learning Styles
Are you both fascinated and baffled by inquiry-based science? Do you want to tap the strength of inquiry-based science to help your students build deeper understandings? Do you want to use inquiry-based science to foster high-quality instruction across the educational board? This guide provides clear and simple explanations for engaging students in meaningful and hands-on, minds-on ways of understanding science.
Eight Essentials of Inquiry-Based Science, K-8 breaks each essential into sample lessons that include sample data, discussion questions, and tools such as graphic organizers and analogies. Hammerman draws on more than 20 years experience in the fields of science instruction and professional development to address basic and complex principles related to inquiry, including:
· How to discuss data, information, models, graphics, and experiences
· How to interact with one another to strengthen knowledge and skills
· How to extend learning through guided or open-inquiry investigations and research
· How to apply new learning and research-based best practices for improving student achievement
· When you harness the immense power of inquiry-based learning, you can fully discover the inquisitive nature of each of your students!
"Eight Essentials of Inquiry -Based Science offers a crisp rationale and approach to the teaching of science that is meaningful, authentic, and exciting for students. Hammerman brings the complexities of science pedagogy and research to life and presents important ideas about teaching and learning in a manner that is easy to digest and apply. This is a timely book for it provides an answer to the many demands placed on teachers and students."
"A user-friendly resource book full of useful tips for tapping into students' natural inquisitiveness. Includes sample activities, probing discussion questions, and graphic organizer templates for recording data and tracking student assessment."