Big Data in Education
The digital future of learning, policy and practice
- Ben Williamson - University of Edinburgh, UK
Administration & Leadership | Education | Educational Research
This cutting-edge overview explores the current state-of-play, looking at big data and the related topic of computer code to examine the implications for education and schooling for today and the near future.
Key topics include:
- The role of learning analytics and educational data science in schools
- A critical appreciation of code, algorithms, and infrastructures
- The rise of "cognitive classrooms," and the practical application of computational algorithms to learning environments
- Important digital research methods issues for researchers
This book treads a fine line between at times enthusiasm about the likely strong future of educational data science and the adoption of a critical perspective.
With each passing year, we see ever more proclamations of the potential of technology to disrupt education. In this hugely informative and insightful book, Ben Williamson guides the reader through this rapidly changing landscape.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Big Data in Education - Chapter 1