Build a balanced assessment system and support ESSA implementation!
It has never been more important to develop balanced assessment systems that can provide meaningful information, improve teaching practices, and help students learn. The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) increases assessment flexibility and responsibilities for states and districts—an opportunity to change assessment for the better.
Authors Chappuis, Commodore, and Stiggins have helped thousands of teachers, principals and other educational leaders in becoming assessment-literate and developing assessment systems built on quality assessment. This comprehensive new guide provides clear steps and strategies for developing an assessment system, and includes many interactive exercises designed for professional development and system implementation. Readers will learn how to:
- Create a balanced assessment system and analyze the progress being made within your school or district toward it
- Develop and implement assessment systems that are both formative (measuring learning in progress) and summative (verifying learning that has taken place)
- Take specific leadership actions that advance the balance and quality of assessment systems
- Help teachers integrate formative assessments into classroom instruction
- Empower students by involving them in the assessment process
Take action now to make proactive, positive changes in your school or district’s approach to assessment!